19/04/2015

AM April 20th John 7

April 20th

25: Then said some of them of Jerusalem, Is not this he, whom they seek to kill? 26: But, lo, he speaketh boldly, and they say nothing unto him. Do the rulers know indeed that this is the very Christ? 27: Howbeit we know this man whence he is: but when Christ cometh, no man knoweth whence he is. 28: Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not. 29: But I know him: for I am from him, and he hath sent me. 30: Then they sought to take him: but no man laid hands on him, because his hour was not yet come. 31: And many of the people believed on him, and said, When Christ cometh, will he do more miracles than these which this man hath done?

Religious leaders attempt - arrest

32: The Pharisees heard that the people murmured such things concerning him; and the Pharisees and the chief priests sent officers to take him. 33: Then said Jesus unto them, Yet a little while am I with you, and then I go unto him that sent me. 34: Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come. 35: Then said the Jews among themselves, Whither will he go, that we shall not find him? will he go unto the dispersed among the Gentiles, and teach the Gentiles? 36: What manner of saying is this that he said, Ye shall seek me, and shall not find me: and where I am, thither ye cannot come? 37: In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. 38: He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. 39: (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) 40: Many of the people therefore, when they heard this saying, said, Of a truth this is the Prophet. 41: Others said, This is the Christ. But some said, Shall Christ come out of Galilee? 42: Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was? 43: So there was a division among the people because of him. 44: And some of them would have taken him; but no man laid hands on him. 45: Then came the officers to the chief priests and Pharisees; and they said unto them, Why have ye not brought him? 46: The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. 47: Then answered them the Pharisees, Are ye also deceived? 48: Have any of the rulers or of the Pharisees believed on him? 49: But this people who knoweth not the law are cursed. 50: Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,) 51: Doth our law judge any man, before it hear him, and know what he doeth? 52: They answered and said unto him, Art thou also of Galilee? Search, and look: for out of Galilee ariseth no prophet. 53: And every man went unto his own house.

The people were rather surprised that Christ spoke openly in fact it cast doubt on the ruler’s judgment, but the people were still confused about him. Then Christ addressed their question regarding his origin. He said you know me and where l am from but I have been sent from God and l know him. They tried to arrest Christ but they couldn’t get it together because it was not the right time yet. Because of the courage of Christ many people believed on him. The Religious leaders sent a group to arrest him but they were confused by His speech. On the Great day of the feast Christ stood before Israel and called the whole nation to himself. This was the climax of Christ’s ministry. Everything hinged on this. However the people responded would set the scene for the next two thousand years. He said, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (In Mathew the call is to those who are weary and heavy laden.) Many people believed on him there. Those who had been sent to arrest him returned empty handed saying, never man spake like this man. They were struck by the force of his personality in the power of the Holy Spirit. It this time Nicodemus said we should give the man a hearing.


  • Why couldn’t people arrest Christ?
  • What did Jesus mean when he said I am going away and you will not find me?
  • Why couldn’t the soldiers arrest Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment