07/08/2014

PM August 7th Psalm 91

August 7th

Psalm 91

In God’s care
1: He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. 2: I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. 3: Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. 4: He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. 5: Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; 6: Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. 7: A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee. 8: Only with thine eyes shalt thou behold and see the reward of the wicked. 9: Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation; 10: There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling. 11: For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. 12: They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone. 13: Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample under feet. 14: Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. 15: He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. 16: With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.

Psalm 92

A Psalm or song for the Sabbath day

God’s goodness
1: It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: 2: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night, 3: Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound. 4: For thou, LORD, hast made me glad through thy work: I will triumph in the works of thy hands. 5: O LORD, how great are thy works! and thy thoughts are very deep. 6: A brutish man knoweth not; neither doth a fool understand this. 7: When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; it is that they shall be destroyed for ever: 8: But thou, LORD, art most high for evermore. 9: For, lo, thine enemies, O LORD, for, lo, thine enemies shall perish; all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered. 10: But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil. 11: Mine eye also shall see my desire on mine enemies, and mine ears shall hear my desire of the wicked that rise up against me. 12: The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree: he shall grow like a cedar in Lebanon. 13: Those that be planted in the house of the LORD shall flourish in the courts of our God. 14: They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing; 15: To shew that the LORD is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him.
Today we are reading two famous Psalms No 91 & 92. Psalm 91 is a description of the rest that Christ provides during the Messianic kingdom. The Psalmist begins saying, He that shelters under the shadow of the Most high (Christ) will say The Lord is my refuge and fortress, in him I will trust. He will deliver you from the trap of the bird catcher and from the beaters. He will cover you with his wings and under them you will trust and his truth will be your large shield and small shield. You will not be afraid of terrorist by night, nor of the missile by day, nor of the disease that comes in secret, nor of the swellings that wastes men at noon. 1,000 will fall at your side and 10,000 at your right hand but these things will not overcome you. You will see with your own eyes and you will see the reward of God on his wicked life. This is because you made the Lord your refuge, the most high your home. No evil will come on you nor will any plague come near your home, because he will make his angels bodyguards over you and they will keep you in the ways of the Lord. They will lift you up in their hands to prevent you from striking your foot against a rock. You will tread on lions and poisonous snakes and the young lion and the dragon you will trample under your feet. It’s interesting that Satan partially quoted this scripture at Christ in the wilderness, yet he didn’t mention that Christ would tread on the dragon. And why will the Lord do all this? The Lord answers, because he loved me I will deliver you and because you have known my name, you will call on me and I will answer you. I will be with you in times of trouble and I will save you and honour you. I will give you a long life to make you satisfied and I will show you my salvation. In Psalm 92 the Psalmist bring a song of prayer and praise for the rest of the Sabbath day. The Psalmist begins by stating that it is a good thing to give thanks and bring praises to the Lord – Jehovah. To bring morning praises to the loving kindness of the Lord and every evening to praise his faithfulness. And to use all music to beautify our praises of devotion. The Psalmist says, Lord you have made me glad through all that you have done. And I will have victory in all your works. Lord your works are great and your thoughts are deep. A brute does not know them, nor can a fool understand them. They are like spring grass which shoots up to burn in the sun and be lost forever. But you O Lord are most high and will be forevermore. Your enemies will perish and all those who do wicked things will be scattered. I will be strong like a Rhinoceros and I will be anointed with fresh oil. I will see my prayers answered in the destruction of my enemies. The righteous will grow like a palm tree and like a cedar of Lebanon. Those who are planted in the house of the Lord will blossom in the courts of our God. They will bring forth fruit even in old age and they will be healthy and beautiful. They will demonstrate the uprightness of the Lord because he will be their rock and there is no unrighteousness in him.


  • What is the secret place?
  • What is the salvation that the Psalmist speaks of?
  • How does the Psalmist describe the difference between the righteous and the wicked? 

No comments:

Post a Comment