16/08/2011

PM Aug 16th Psa 109

August 16th Psalm 109

A song or Psalm of David

1: Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise; 2: For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue. 3: They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause. 4: For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer. 5: And they have rewarded me evil for good, and hatred for my love. 6: Set thou a wicked man over him: and let Satan stand at his right hand. 7: When he shall be judged, let him be condemned: and let his prayer become sin. 8: Let his days be few; and let another take his office. 9: Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. 10: Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg: let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places. 11: Let the extortioner catch all that he hath; and let the strangers spoil his labour. 12: Let there be none to extend mercy unto him: neither let there be any to favour his fatherless children. 13: Let his posterity be cut off; and in the generation following let their name be blotted out. 14: Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD; and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out. 15: Let them be before the LORD continually, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth. 16: Because that he remembered not to shew mercy, but persecuted the poor and needy man, that he might even slay the broken in heart. 17: As he loved cursing, so let it come unto him: as he delighted not in blessing, so let it be far from him. 18: As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment, so let it come into his bowels like water, and like oil into his bones. 19: Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him, and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually. 20: Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD, and of them that speak evil against my soul. 21: But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake: because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me. 22: For I am poor and needy, and my heart is wounded within me. 23: I am gone like the shadow when it declineth: I am tossed up and down as the locust. 24: My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness. 25: I became also a reproach unto them: when they looked upon me they shaked their heads. 26: Help me, O LORD my God: O save me according to thy mercy: 27: That they may know that this is thy hand; that thou, LORD, hast done it. 28: Let them curse, but bless thou: when they arise, let them be ashamed; but let thy servant rejoice. 29: Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame, and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle. 30: I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude. 31: For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor, to save him from those that condemn his soul.

Psalm 110

A song or Psalm of David

1: The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool. 2: The LORD shall send the rod of thy strength out of Zion: rule thou in the midst of thine enemies. 3: Thy people shall be willing in the day of thy power, in the beauties of holiness from the womb of the morning: thou hast the dew of thy youth. 4: The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek. 5: The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. 6: He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. 7: He shall drink of the brook in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head.

Today we are reading Psalm 109 & 110. Psalm 109 is a Psalm of David in which he describes in prophetic terms the humiliation of Christ and his deliverance. The Psalm has two almost identical verses. Which both begin with prayer for himself and continue with a description of his enemy oppression. Then the first verse ends with a description of the reward of God on his enemies cursing. The second verse ends with a description of the deliverance of the Lord from those who condemn him. He begins saying, Do not be silent O Lord, God of my praise, because my enemies speak against me. They speak lies full of hatred for no reason. Because I love the Lord they are my adversaries but I will give myself to prayer. They reward me evil for the good I have done. And they return hatred for my love. Put over them O Lord a wicked man with Satan at his side, so that when he is judged he will be condemned and may his prayer become a sin. May his days be few and may another take his place (We are thinking of Judas here) May his children be orphans and his wife a widow. May his children be penniless and outcasts and may they wander in deserted places begging bread. May an extortioner steal all their wealth and may strangers spoil all their work. May none show mercy to him and may his children be without favour. May his children die and their name perish. May his parents sin be remembered and never blotted out. May the Lord never forget their sins so they will be forgotten for ever. It’s interesting that the family of Judas disappear from history and are never heard of again. David says may they be forgotten by the whole earth. Because he did not show mercy but persecuted the poor and needy man – Christ, so that he might even murder him that is broken heart. Because he loved to curse so may he be cursed and as he did not like to bless so may he not know Gods blessing. He clothed himself in curses like a coat, so may the curse of God come into his bowels turning then into water and like oil on his bones. May this sickness cover him as a reward for speaking against the Lord. But deliver me O Lord for your names sake because your mercy is good. I am poor and needy and my heart is wounded within me. I am like a shadow that is fading away. I am blown about like a locust in the wind. I am weak from fasting and my flesh has no fat. They looked at me and shook their heads. Help me O LORD my God and deliver me in your mercy. So that my enemies will know that you have delivered me. They might curse me but you bless me O Lord. And when they rise up let them be ashamed but let me rejoice. May my enemies be clothed in shame and covered in confusion like a cloak. I will praise you O Lord greatly with my mouth, yes, and I will praise you in the crowds because you stand as the defender of the poor and deliver them from his accusers. Psalm 110 is also a Psalm of David in which he describes the exaltation of Christ. It has two verses both of which are very similar. They begin with a statement of what the LORD has said, and then they state what the LORD will do. Then they describe Messiah’s enemies and finally they describe the refreshment of the Lord as being like the dew of heaven and brooks of Israel. This Psalm is a very special Psalm because in the life of Christ having answered every question put him fully and completely he then poses a question of his own. This question brings all discussion to an end and silences his enemies forever. Christ quotes verse 1 of this Psalm and asks ‘If David called his son LORD how could the LORD be David’s son?’ This question brought the true identity of Christ into true focus. David’s son or scripture calls him ‘The Son of David’ – Christ is the LORD God Jehovah. This astounded them and because this truth was based on scripture it was unanswerable. So David begins his song saying that the LORD Jehovah said to my Lord – Christ, sit at my right hand until I make all your enemies your footstool. In this amazing prophecy David says that the LORD Jehovah says to Jesus the Son of David, sit on my right hand sharing the throne of the LORD almighty and wait there until the LORD Jehovah brings all of Christ’s enemies so low, that they will crawl to him and he will have such total victory over them that he will put his feet on their necks. So here we have a prophecy of Christ sitting in his Messianic kingdom, ruling the world and bringing every nation and every king under his total authority. David goes on to sing, The LORD will bring a rod of discipline from the city of Zion and this rule will bring order and control over all Christ’s enemies. He will make all the peoples of the earth willing to submit to him in the beauty of his holiness from the dawning of the day. Christ will be King in the freshness of his youth. This prophecy is an oath of Jehovah and he will never change his mind on it. The Lord refers to Christ as a priest forever in the same way as Melchizedek was, because he had no record of birth or death, so Christ was from eternity to eternity. The Lord will destroy kings of the earth in the day of his wrath, He will judge among the heathen nations and will fill the valleys with dead bodies of the slain and he will wound the presidents of many countries. He will drink of the brooks in the path as he travels and therefore he will survive.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment