15/06/2011

AM June 16th Acts 24

June 16th

17: Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings. 18: Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult. 19: Who ought to have been here before thee, and object, if they had ought against me. 20: Or else let these same here say, if they have found any evil doing in me, while I stood before the council, 21: Except it be for this one voice, that I cried standing among them, Touching the resurrection of the dead I am called in question by you this day. 22: And when Felix heard these things, having more perfect knowledge of that way, he deferred them, and said, When Lysias the chief captain shall come down, I will know the uttermost of your matter. 23: And he commanded a centurion to keep Paul, and to let him have liberty, and that he should forbid none of his acquaintance to minister or come unto him. 24: And after certain days, when Felix came with his wife Drusilla, which was a Jewess, he sent for Paul, and heard him concerning the faith in Christ. 25: And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a convenient season, I will call for thee. 26: He hoped also that money should have been given him of Paul, that he might loose him: wherefore he sent for him the oftener, and communed with him. 27: But after two years Porcius Festus came into Felix' room: and Felix, willing to shew the Jews a pleasure, left Paul bound.

Paul continues, after a number of years l came to bring alms to the poor of my nation. (The highest act of law keeping for the Jews) and to make offerings (The highest act of Jewish devotion) and he says some Jews from Turkey found me in a state of purity in the temple and l was there in calmness and quiet. They should be here to testify against this if they have anything against me. Let anyone here testify against me if l was doing anything wrong. The only thing that they can find against me is that l believe in the resurrection of the dead. When Felix had heard all this he adjourned the hearing until Lysias the chief captain came down from Jerusalem to testify. Paul was kept safe from the Jews by the Roman guard. It was not an imprisonment but he had perfect liberty to receive any guests its just that he was protected by Rome day and night. After a while Felix came with his wife Drucilla who was a Jewess and he sent for Paul and heard him talk of Faith in Christ and he reasoned with them both of righteousness, temperance and judgment. When Felix heard of these things he was deeply affected and trembled at the preaching of Paul. Then he said to Paul Go for now and l will hear you again. We have no record that he ever heard him again. Procrastination is the thief of blessing. Felix hoped to take a bribe from Paul for his release. Felix was corrupted by his office. After two whole years Porcius Festus succeeded Felix and he was wanting to get favour with the Jews so he deliberately left Paul bound. Paul was in more danger with Festus than with Felix.

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment